- Every child is different and will progress in development according to their natural rate. However, to find out which skills you can work with your child on to help them reach their next stage of growth, this is a suggested developmental milestone chart for ages 0-5 years.
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) & Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- The amount of individuals diagnosed with ADHD is on a rapid incline. There are still many misconceptions about the disorder. To learn more check out the Attention Deficit Disorder Association website.
- Here is an article from Web MD discussing some common symptoms of ADD and ADHD.
- ADHD is not just for kids. Adults can have the disorder too. Check out this article complete with some symptoms to look for to see if you are an adult with ADHD.
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
- The Autism Society of Central Virginia is a great non-profit organization that provides families and the community with information about Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- This is a great quiz made by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention to see how much you really know about Autism Spectrum Disorders and can be a guide for figuring out what areas you may need to learn more about.
- Are you wondering if your child may have an Autism Spectrum Disorder? This modified checklist from Autism Speaks is a great tool to get started.
- This is a wonderful organization and good place to start to find out more about Cerebral Palsy.
- For those looking to learn more about Down Syndrome, the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) is a wonderful place to start.
- Many hear about Dyslexia but, do not really know what it is. They associate it with having problems reading but, do not fully understand what the disorder is. Learn more by checking out the National Center for Learning Disabilities.
- There are multiple types of learning disabilities that affect different types of learning. This is an interactive checklist that can highlight which areas a student may need to focus on and strengthen.
Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)
- Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) can be debilitating and is a disorder that many are still unaware of. The SPD resource center is a wonderful organization that educates the community about the disorder and gives tips on how to improve the quality of life for those diagnosed.